Application Information – Elementary Course
An Application for Admission may be submitted at any time during the calendar year. Applications are processed upon receipt of the complete application packet and application fee. Priority consideration will be given to all complete application packets received by the Early Admissions Date. After that date, consideration for the course will be on a space available basis. When a course is filled, successful candidates will be placed on a waiting list in the order accepted with the option of deferring registration to the next available course.
Criteria For Admission
Successful candidates will demonstrate qualifications and suitability for successful participation in the course, including:
- Academic skills for success in a comprehensive and rigorous course of study
- Clear oral and written communication
- Capacities for organization, time management and attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate within a community
- Commitment to alternative education
- The desire to support human development in positive and life-affirming directions
- The educational standard for the course is a Bachelor's degree in any field. Exceptions are considered on an individual basis.
Submit the following in a complete packet:
- Application Form [PDF]
Your resume should include the names and address of employers, dates of employment, and a list of responsibilities. List all colleges / universities attended, including degree or certificate achieved. Include any employment in Montessori schools.
The Personal Essay supports the application packet and serves as the applicant's writing sample. It should be typewritten and approximately 1200 words in length. The essay should address the following:
Criteria for Admission
Any experiences in a Montessori classroom
What influenced your decision to pursue the study of Montessori education at this age level
You may use this essay to provide any other information you would like considered in support of your candidacy.
- Non-native speakers of English: TOEFL scores (minimum score of 550 is required)
- International applicants: Applicants who require an I-20 form must submit an additional information form: International Applicant Information Form, (PDF printable document)
- Official transcripts from each educational institution attended: Transcripts must be submitted in sealed envelopes.
Letters of reference from the 3 individuals listed on this application
The letters of reference should reflect the writer's knowledge of the applicant's ability to meet the Institute's Criteria for Admission. Letters of reference must be written within three years of application date. Letters should include at least two professional or academic references.
- A non-refundable application fee payable to the Montessori Institute Northwest: $25
An applicant will be notified in writing as to the status of the application within 10 days. If accepted, a registration fee is due within two weeks of notification. The registration fee is $75.00 for early admission applicants and $125.00 for applications received after the Early Admission Date. The registration fee reserves a candidate's place in the course.
Complete application packets should be sent to:
The Montessori Institute Northwest
Attn: Admissions Committee
622 SE Grand Avenue
Portland, OR 97214
The Montessori Institute Northwest does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, national or ethnic origin in its admission policies, educational policies, or any other MINW administered programs.